12. (Wed, Apr 30) 1st half: Crisis as Opportunity
-- Freeman, draft: Crisis, Resilience & Opportunity
-- assigned chapters from "The Startup CEO" by Matt Blumberg (Wiley, 2013)
- Review: cases from throughout the semester considering how protagonists were able or unable to seize opportunity from crisis.
- Think about
-- Crises in the news. What were the outcomes? Were opportunities available? Were they considered? Manifested? Consider how US presidents have managed crises.
-- Crises in your own work and life. Were opportunities present?
2nd Half: Crisis Era: Prophetic Or Alarmist? Is the end of the world as we know it on hand? Or are we “apocaholic”?
13. (Wed, May 7) Last Class & Party Project Presentations, Papers and Party
(Wed, Jan 22) All University Classes Cancelled due to Snow
3. (Wed, Feb 12) Workshop: Writing web pages at Van Pelt Library in the Weigle Information Commons Seminar Room (Room #124)
- Review first two sessions
- preview all course topics and reading materials
- Topic Development Project: Choose a Potential Crisis and develop a course webpage about it.
- Most important: Think about Choosing a Course Project.
4. (Wed, Feb 19) Session 4: Crisis Decision Making (No specific preparation needed);
- Create a course webpage.
- Continue to preview all course topics and reading materials;
- Think about Choosing a Course Project.
(Wed, Feb 26) NO CLASS. work on Course Projects.
5. (Wed, Mar 5) Resilience: Theory & Context: Organizational Resilience Read (a) Freeman, Hirschhorn and Maltz "Moral Purpose and Organizational Resilience: Sandler O'Neill in the Aftermath of Sept 11, 2001 (b) Freeman, "Beyond Systems Thinking: Resilience as strategy for safety & sustainability" (c) Hamel, "The Quest for Resilience" (d) Sutcliffe and Vogus "Organizing for Resilience."
6. (Wed, Mar 12) Spring Break (Still meeting)
8. (Wed, Mar 26) Individual meetings on Course Projects.
9. (Wed, Apr 2) Individual resilience / Beyond Resilience: Drawing strength from adversity --
- Viktor Frankl: Man's Search for Meaning
- André Agassi: "Open: An Autobiography"
Review the cases on the Individual resilience webpage, especially Aimee Mullins
- Robert Schimmel: Cancer on five dollars a day (chemo not included) or how humor got me through the toughest journey of my life.
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb (2013) Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder Taleb’s site: http://www.fooledbyrandomness..com/
- Seligman, Martin E.P.; Csikszentmihalyi, Mihaly (2000). "Positive Psychology: An Introduction". American Psychologist 55 (1): 5–14.Seligman&Csikszentmihalyi(2000).pdf doi:10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.5. PMID 11392865.
10. (Wed, Apr 16) [s.1] Resilience Theory
• General Resilience Theory
- Searching for Safety, Aaron Wildavsky, (Transaction Publishing, 1988) Chapter 4. Anticipation Versus Resilience, pages 77-79
- The Concept of "Organic".
- Clark, William R. (2008) In Defense of Self: How the Immune System Really Works (Oxford University Press) Chapter Two: Antibodies
• Individual (Pschyological) Resilience: From Handbook of Positive Psychology, Eds. CR Snyder & SJ Lopez (2002, New York: Oxford University Press)
- Masten & Reed, Resilience in development. pages 74-88
- Turner et al Positive Psychology at Work .pages
• Review Organizational Resilience
- Freeman, Hirschhorn and Maltz "Moral Purpose and Organizational Resilience: Sandler O'Neill in the Aftermath of Sept 11, 2001
- Freeman, "Beyond Systems Thinking: Resilience as strategy for safety & sustainability"
- Hamel, "The Quest for Resilience"
- Sutcliffe and Vogus "Organizing for Resilience."
- How has resilience in individuals been studied? What factors affect individual resilience?
- How do these factors relate to your personal experience?
- How do these resilience factors apply to the work environment? What kinds of workers or work groups show resilience or maladaptation?
- Can any analogies be drawn between individual resilience and organizational resilience?
- YU Ranch case
- Industrial Agriculture and some alternatives
- Michael Pollan (2006) The Omnivore's Dilemma
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb (2013) Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder, (Random House ISBN 978-1400067824)
Fire on The Mountain case / Mann Gulch case
(1) and (2) building a theory of organizational resilience. Building Theory.
Foodopoly talk, UPenn Bookstore
OD student, Meg Ficca, presents her capstone, which provides a business solution to ameliorate one aspect of the US industrial health care crisis