Why we're going: see my letter to Nolan Thevenet explaining our interest in visiting
Pre Trip Assignments
- Look through the Stryker Farm Website and Nolan's Stryker Farm Blog
- Watch TED Talk from Local farmer, Dean Carlson, of Wyebrook Farm
- Watch video of bottleneck at federally inspected slaughterhouses
- Review your Class Notes on YU Ranch case
- Develop Questions and thoughts for the class and Nolan
If you have time:
- Watch Showing of "Food Inc." Bennet Hall April 10th 6:30 to 8:30pm
- Look through the Food Inc Website
- Watch the Gourmet Farmer (More on Y U Ranch)
Watch Mike Rowe of "Dirty Jobs" at Hickman Farms (More on Industrial Agriculture)
Read/ Watch Huls Dairy Farm finds a different way to be resilient
- 7:30 am Meet at Penn (with coffee!)
7:40 am Leave Penn
9:30 AM - 10:00 AM Arrive at Stryker Farms
3045 Mountain Road Saylorsburg, PA 18353 Phone: 570-269-2995
Introductions & Nolan's Story
Tour and Farm Chores
Recap and Questions
1:00 pm Leave for Lunch at The Steel Pub
320 E. 1st. Street Bethlehem, PA 18015 Phone: 610-625-5005
1:30 pm "Arrive at The Steel Pub where Stryker Farm Meats are served * See Menu on worksheet"
3:30 pm Leave Bethlehem
5:30 PM Arrive back at Penn
1. Wear clothes that you won't mind getting dirty.
2. We hope to help out with a few farm chores which include feeding, watering and checking on the goats, pigs and chickens.
3. We recommend boots if you have them.
4. Wind breaker/Rain Shell just in case of inclement weather.
5. Prepared to get a little dirty!
Things to Bring:
Please bring water/drinks and a few snacks for the car ride. We will be leaving early and having lunch a little later than usual.
Camera/ Cell phone2 pm: Tour of the Emergency Training facilities and demonstration of the simulator