What is Idealized Design?
Idealized design answers the question, “Ideally, what would we like the program to be?”
Why Idealized Design?
Most improvement efforts focus on problem solving or what went wrong. At best, this results in marginal gain. More often solving one problem just causes another (bigger) one to pop up.
When Do We Do It?
The Broader Context
Science and education typically involve analytical thinking, which may reveal how a system works, but not understanding of why it works the way it does.
In contrast, Idealized Design is a systems thinking methodology. It entails a focus on purpose and desired ends and how best to meet them.
How Does It Work?
What’s not going to happen is: Someone offers a suggestion that an “expert” will silence. Rather, we facilitate, drawing out your experience and insight. And rather than tinkering with current structure, idealized design starts from scratch.How Do We Do It?
In the design phase, participants create or draw structures and processes to bring about one or more desired specifications.
Guidelines for Ideation:
Idealized Design, a segment of Interactive Planning, is an organizational development process developed by Russell L. Ackoff in the 1950's which enables an organization to get beyond the problem solving mode and unleash their innovative potential.
“An idealized design of a system is the design its stakeholders would have right now if they could have any system they wanted.... It is called idealized because it is the best ideal-seeking systems its designers could imagine at the time, recognizing that they and others may be able to imagine a better one in the future.” (WHCA, 1996)
- The unedited transcript of the conversation between Ackoff and Deming, as moderated by Clare Crawford Mason. This transcript reveals the views of two preeminant thinkers in systems thinking. They discuss the relevancy and the application of systems worldview to the intractable problems and societal ills.
- An Evaluation of R. L. Ackoff’s Interactive Planning: A Case of Systemic Development of an Organizational Unit by Darek M. Eriksson
- Applying Interactive Planning at DuPont: The Case of Transforming a Safety, Health, and Environmental Function to Delivery Business Value by James E. Leemann
- Idealized Design: How Bell Labs Imagined -- and Created -- the Telephone System of the Future from Knowledge @ Wharton (Access requires free account at Knowledge at Wharton)
- Idealized Design: The Power of Imagination from GKS Spirit Magazine Sep '06
- INTERACTIVE PLANNING: A Systems Approach Advanced by Russell Ackoff from M. C. Jackson, 2003
- Introducing “Idealized Design" -- You Can Have Your Savings Cake and Eat it Too by Jason Magidson
- Leadership and Systems Thinking by George E. Reed
- Shifting Your Customers into "Wish Mode": Tools for Generating New Product Ideas and Breakthroughs by James Magidson
- Seeing Your Company as a System by Andrea Gabor
- Systems Thinking and Senior Level Leadership by George E. Reed
- Systems Thinking and Its Implications in Organizational Transformation by John Pourdehnad and Gnana K. Bharathy
- Creating the Corporate Future by Russell L. Ackoff (1981)
- Creative Problem Solving: total Systems Intervention by Robert L. Flood and Michael C. Jackson (1991)
- Idealized Design: How to Dissolve Tomorrow's Crisis...Today by Russell L. Ackoff, Jason Magidson & Herbert J. Addison (2006)
- Russell Ackoff Memories
- Re-Creating the Corporation: A Design of Organizations for the 21st Century by Russell L. Ackoff (1999)
- Systems Thinking: Creative Holism for Managers by Michael C. Jackson (2003)
- Systems Thinking: Managing Chaos and Complexity by Jamshid Gharajedaghi (2006)
- Academy of Vocal Arts by Jason Magidson
- Carfree Cities by J.H. Crawford
- Healthcare Products by Jason Magidson
- NACUFS Meets Idealized Design by Bruce Flye
- Perinatal Care Virginia Infant Mortality Work Group
- Process Redesign by Jason Magidson
- Product Design by Jason Magidson
- Sales Training by Jason Magidson
- White House Communications Agency by March Laree Jacques
- A Brief Guide to Interactive Planning and Idealized Design by Russell L. Ackoff
- A Useful Distinction between Managers and Leaders Russell L. Ackoff (His last article only available via Emerald)
- Corporate Pathology by Jamshid Gharajedaghi
- Crowdsourcing Business Model Innovation: Using Social Media Platforms and Design Thinking by John Pourdehnad and Dan Baker (Work in Progress)
- Mechanisms, Organisms and Social Systems by Jamshid Gharajedaghi
- On the Nature of Development by Jamshid Gharajedaghi
- Redesigning the Academy of Vocal Arts (AVA) by John Pourdehnad and Adele Hebb
- Social Systems: Dichotomy or Dialectic by Jamshid Gharajedaghi
- Systems Approach to Knowledge Development for Creating New Products and Services by John Pourdehnad and Patrick J. Robinson
- Systems Methodology: A Holistic Languate of Interaction and Deisgn by Jamshid Gharajedaghi
- Idealized Design: An "Open Innovation" Process by John Pourdehnad
- Organizational Transformation Presentation from John Pourdehnad
- Application of Interactive Planning Methodology by Donna Aura Lumbo
- Involving Users in the Design Process by Charlotte E. J. Pittman
- A Design Thinking Approach to Leadership Development by Tamara Nuzzaci
- ICSTM Keynote 2004 with Russell Ackoff
- Beyond Continuous Improvement with Russell Ackoff
- Idealized Design: How Bell Labs Imagined -- and Created -- the Telephone System of the Future
- Systems Thinkinkg with Russell Ackoff